- The modern game grew from Scotland in the early 19th century
- The original name of Field Hockey is “Shinty”
- Field Hockey can be played both indoors and outdoors. Outdoor hockey has 10 players plus a goalkeeper for each team, whereas in the indoor hockey there are 5 players plus a goalkeeper for each team.
- Players can be substituted as many times and at any time in the game.
- There are only right handed hockey sticks. The left handed hockey sticks are not allowed.
- There are two referees on the hockey field officiating the game.
- When a player is blocked, intentionally or unintentionally, it is called an obstruction.
- Unlike Soccer, there is no Off-Side rule in Field Hockey.
- To consider a field hockey game as an official game, it must be played on FIH approved turf which can be grass, astro turf or water based turf.
- Field Hockey has the fastest speed of swing, even more than golf and baseball.
- Field Hockey is played by over a 3, 000, 000 players spread over 100 countries and 5 continents.
- There are three different ways to score in Field Hockey – field goal, penalty corner and penalty stroke.
- Along with Soccer and Cricket, Field Hockey is the 3rd most watched sport of the world.
- Field Hockey is an Olympic Sport. It is also played in other tournaments and major sporting events.
Thursday, February 11, 2016
Interesting hockey facts
If you are interested in getting into hockey in Wollongong just register with our Junior Coordinator.